Wednesday, April 13, 2011

{Inspiration for refreshing a bedroom on a budget}

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

As it stands right now my room is pretty traditional looking. It has looked the same for the last 8 years and I am ready to make some changes. I would love to add some modern pieces to freshen up the space. Of course it will have to be done on a budget which means I will have to work with what I already have...which translates to we are working around browns (which does not rank as my favorite color but will fit nicely into a modern nature inspired space). What I can do though is add a reasonably priced rug, paint, add new pillow and reupholster a small bench with a fun print fabric. What I really would love is a new bed but as it stands right now the one that I want is not in the budget.

So far I have acquired a couple of unique pieces from the thrift store that has helped to jump start the refresher {refer to large shell and coral mirror, brass sculptural lamp and the above brass chair with the ovals.

Things I have my eye on:

2 marbelized pilows from here (not cheap but pack a big punch for the space and willing to save the money on other items).

Inexpensive indoor/outdoor rugs from here and here (durable and will work great until the day comes for an investment rug).

Window treatments (perhaps a DIY).

A couple of side tables from Craiglist.

I will keep you all posted.

P.S. - Husband dragged home the above mirror a few days ago and surprised me (sort of). It came from a thrift store in Sun City and the same one can be found here for much much more...like $2700 more (not that one can gage the value of something from 1st Dibs but I still love it when that happens.

8 comments:

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

that lamp is super-duper gorgeous. Thrift store? Based on the mirror, lamp and pillow alone I'd say you have yourself a winner.

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

That mirror is an amazing find!

kelleyp said...

holy shells! can't believe that mirror on 1st dibs. it is your exact duplicate. crazy, but great piece to add to your bedroom. go hubbie!!

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

love the shell mirror! what a steal!

susieq said...

Wow, Husband did good! I love that mirror! I've slowly been updating our entire house -- but our bedroom is a disaster zone. Needs a ceiling to floor redo. Can't wait to see what you do!

angela | the painted house said...

We're in the same boat...working around brown. Just waiting to find the right fabric to work with the brown and ivory damask. Hmmm.

I like your direction. Fine mirror! And that lamp is a real find, Miss C.

Laura said...

The room will look amazing!!

Unknown said...

well, might I say that your husband is pretty fab for finding that mirror. Sometimes my husband is right on the money. Sometimes, well, not so much. Either way he'd probably think that I'd have some other opinion so not even dare to buy it.