Tuesday, October 20, 2009

{the love cake}




Husband finally decided to have his birthday 2 hours after I got home my trip. I was a little heart broken that I didn't pull off the envisioned party but I hope I made it up to him with the cake I made from my heart. I didn't stop thinking about him in any one of those four hours that it took to make that cake. What a glorious day when husband graced his presence to this world. The value he has brought to our family is immeasurable so by me saying his birthday is one of my favorite days is not an exaggeration.

Hope you had a wonderful birthday my main Mr. Man.


OH MY, besides my kids, that cake was the most wonderful thing I have ever made....I am not exaggerating that one either. Everyone NEEDS to go and make it. Every little detail that went into making the cake was so worth it...even the very expensive dutch processed cocoa.  So my little cakie cake didn't exactly look like the picture but I didn't care because it was all about the taste.

Recipe from here, ENJOY!

ingredients

For cake layers
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup whole milk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup boiling-hot water

For filling
7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
4 ounces coarsely chopped pecans (1 cup)
14-ounces can sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon vanilla

For glaze
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
10 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate
3 tablespoons light corn syrup


For full instructions go here.

If your wondering if cake is included in my special diet than the answer is no but there is always an exception for LOVE CAKE.  I made my candida very happy last night:-)

12 comments:

The City Sage said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Are you trying to send my sweet tooth into overdrive? These photos and the description of the cake is KILLING me!

(and i so feel you on the struggle of candida problems---I've been dealing with it for years with still no hope in sight...)

Stu and Angie Milne said...

i am salivating! ahh that looks soo good, i can almost smell it! thanks for posting the recipe, i'll have to try it now! happy birthday to your husband!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Wow that looks delish! I hope your hubby had a great birthday.

My hubby's birthday is tomorrow and I might just have to try out that cake.

Yum!

Camille said...

Ummm...yeah. You love your husband more than I love mine. Leastwise, you show your love a lot better than I do. My husband would probably like to shack up with you if he saw what you give for birthday cakes. : ) Mine look like piles of poo, and that is the rule, not the exception.

Whitney said...

Go WAYLO its your birthday!! Go WAYLO its your birthday!! Im doing the birthday dance for him.

Full House said...

Camille I'm chuckling inside because mine does look like piles of poo....tasty poo, I swear.

Laura said...

Ooooh lala does that sound good! I'm definitley going to try it and I'll be prepared for the poo remarks from my boys.

Debbie said...

and was it delicious!!! He was much happier with a cake than the theme party you might have planned!! You know they say that the way to a man's heart in through his stomach and I think it is very true!!

Anonymous said...

that looks so good.



(yes, i am very interested in the hats!)

Marketing Unscrambled, Home edition said...

What a great looking cake. Love cake, but my husband is not a fan of cake. That does not mean that he would not eat some of it, ( I would get the rest and do not need it.) I will keep the how to of making it. Thank you for that. It looks mmmm good.

Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"

Marketing Unscrambled, Home edition said...

Forgot to wish your Mr Man a happy birthday. Hope that he had a great one.

Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"

nest of posies said...

i'm in love with {the love cake.} will have to try.