Monday, September 21, 2009

Popping Amaranth





So we have already established that I love quinoa.  I buy it by the 25 pound bags.   I thought I would mix it up a bit & try using another seed that acts like a grain called amaranth.  I give it the thumbs up & so does my Mr. Men.  I had read that you could pop it like popcorn so we gave it a try.  Next time I will try an air-popper because it was a little tricky in my pan.  So far as usual our favorite way to eat this is just to pour a bit of honey or agave nectar on top.  I found this fabulous recipe that uses popped amaranth & can't wait ti try it.  I think it would be such a delightful snack.  Seeds aren't just for the birds even though the below kind of looks like it was solely created for our little flying friends.  Let's just say the recipe calls for maple syrup so you know it can't be that bad. 

Go here to check it out and to find out more about Amaranth.



Next up on the list to try is Teff.  

Anybody else have any experience with Amaranth?

10 comments:

Alexa Mae said...

i really don't even know what that is or what i would do with it. but i trust you that it's good....that's how much faith i have in you.

Whitney said...

Uh... This confuses me. The only thing I like popped is Popcorn. Hows that for healthy. But that cookie does look pretty good. Is that a bird cookie? Cause if it is... I have problems.

angela hardison said...

never tried amaranth, but i want to now.

i have some teff in my pantry (i won it from a vegan blog i read!) but haven't used it yet. let me know if you find a good recipe for it.

Jenna said...

Hey Christina,

I am coming out of my lurking stage to comment on amaranth. I LOVE IT! I use it in a quinoa pilaf 50/50. I am so excited to pop it in my whirleypop. Thanks for the great idea! Have a fabulous week.

ps - I am so excited for the day when I can buy quinoa in a 25 lb bag. :) It is around $8 for a little bag here - crazy!

Stu and Angie Milne said...

looove quinoa! where do you get it in 25 lb bags? mmmm. i made some last night as a side to some salmon, i think they are best friends. but i've never tried amaranth, the popped sounds delicious. can't wait for recipes!

Aimee's Family Journal said...

I Am still enjoying M in her pink flapper sequins and a hunting hat!

brentanderrin said...

this is one popular treat in mexico... not too sweet... they dont like very sweet things, i guess they prefer chile... anyhow... i like it, almost like an alternative to rice crispy treats, but much healthier! you should post more quinoa recipes... i loved your garlic chicken and quinoa one... it was yummy!!!

Alexa Mae said...

hey christina, i want an invite to your family blog please & thank you! xoxo

alexahall17{at}gmail{dot}com

Annie said...

Wow, thanks for the Grains 101. Liza's reading this with me right now and nodding her head. Am I the only one in the family that is uneducated on grains? She just told me she'd let me borrow her Chef Brad's Grain Book....woohoo! I'm all of the sudden feeling really healthy.

Laura said...

Hmmm, I'll have to try that. I'm always up for a food adventure!