Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Incorporating masculinity into the juxtaposition equation

juxtaposition equation:

feminine + masculine = different
different= good       

 

As my girls watched Bambi for the first time many questions arose like (ok maybe just one question asked over and over), "Why are people trying to kill the animals."  I had a tough time explaining this one to my sensitive four year old as I still remember being in those very same shoes.  Bambi made me cry when I was a little lass (still does) & I could not understand why anybody would hunt.  You can imagine the looks on the girls faces when I finally pronounced, "You know Dad is a hunter".  With looks of horror little "M" said, "He is...my Daddy is a hunter".  I felt kind of bad dropping that bomb on her but that fact of the matter is, well that it was true.  Trust me I was actually in denial the first couple years of our marriage about the hunt.  What made it worse was that I was working for Sundance & helping out with some NFPA (North Fork Preservation Alliance) stuff.  Husband & I had many debates on the hunting subject matter during that time.  Finally one year I decided to be a good little open minded wife & go up on the hunt to see what all of the hype was.  I was the only girl for miles & miles as far as I could see.  I really was hoping to put an end to all of my judgements.  The trip didn't really help me change my mind but after I saw how happy husband was basking in all of his manly glory up in those mountains I called a truce.  I'm not even going to try & figure this one out but just let it be, I told myself.

Well when little "M" came into the kitchen dressed up in the above get up I thought, "Well there's a piece of Sweet Home Alabama".  You see I can relate very well to that movie...well sort of...not really but for the sake of this post just go with it.   You know the part where she wants to be a designer in New York & he is pretty much just a redneck, country bumpkin.  I better add that we all know in the movie he turns out a bit more refined as the lead actor creates works of beauty from glass.  I really like that movie.  

It's hard to believe that 2 people that are so vastly different could stand side by side & go together even with all of their contrasts but in the end if having those contrasts would obtain results like in the above picture then sign me up.  Oh did you know the definition of juxtapose is to place close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast.

I also hope to master that same skill of setting contrasting things side by side & having them mesh as I decorate my home.  Problem is I need to throw in a few more masculine items to set next to the already existing feminine items....or a few more modern pieces to set next to the already existing antiques. 

So here's to masculinity....
























Alright who's embracing the boyfriend blazer?

P.S - I really do not think my husband is a redneck but if he were then it's pretty much safe to say I love rednecks.

13 comments:

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I just had Ted buy me a plaque with deer antlers on it. He thought I was crazy...but he will be proven wrong soon enough!

Day by Day Design said...

I LOVE your blog. . I just want to say that I think you are absolutely beautiful, and you seem like a wonderful mother and wife! Your family is very lucky!

also I wanted to make sure you are ok with me putting a link to it on my site.. please let me know, thanks!

Angie Milne said...

i'm not too sure about interiors, but i LOVE throwing in a little masculine flair in my wardrobe... [i don't think masculine and flair belong in the same sentence] i love mary-kate and ashley olsen boho-rock-masculine(yet feminine)-grunge-whimsical look. okay way too many adjectives going on there, but they all pop into my head when i see their 'razzi' shots all over USweekly. ahh wish i could duplicate.

Company EIGHT said...

my husband would surely appreciate a little masculinity here and there...thanks for the great ideas!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I just noticed that Alfred Hitchcock print in one of the interiors. Slayed me. So amazing.

nest of posies said...

if we were to ever meet in person...and my husband would be around for you to meet as well, you would say "they are extreme opposites!" we are like night & day. i don't just mean male/female. i mean night & day. i wouldn't call him a redneck, but "country" = YES! i love that he is. he has all the sweet pure values of a small town boy.
anyways, now that i have rambled on, love these photos. and that fabulous word, "juxtaposition". there is a great store with that name. everytime i see that word, i think of that wonderful store.
okay, sorry for the long comment. you just took me in two different places with your great post.

Rebecca said...

hey christina...just wanted to tell you that i loved the post about your collection of vintage dresses...such a clever way to display them in the grass...what a fun collection to have...

angela hardison said...

i've been loving that badgley mischka bedroom (the image with the initials on the pillow) since i first saw it. a little masculinity goes a long way.

Marketing Unscrambled, Home edition said...

Thank you for the great post. Those rooms are great.

My husband stopped after a to close encounter with flying bullets in his direction and has not been since. (It nicked the top of his ear... way to close.)

Your little ones are so cute and they pose so well.

Have a good day.

Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"

Whitney said...

I think Deer heads belong in rooms where no one sees them. That my own personal opinion. Do you think Waylon will still want to be my friend? But I do love the thought of masculine and feminine in perfect harmony.

Abby Hunter said...

I LOVE "Sweet Home Alabama", LOVE that first masculine/feminine room, and LOVE this post! You are sooo good at linking design to everyday life - and I can always relate to your posts.

Lori said...

HA! HA! HA! Loved this post...it cracked me up. Sweet Home Alabama is one of my favorite flicks. Hey...I've seen a couple of prairie dogs running around here...they'd give you that perfect masculine touch! Wait...I think I hear PETA knocking at my door. :-)

Courtney Vance said...

Love the pics, I always think someday I'll have a more sophisticated home.

As for the hubs, he might be a little country but not a redneck.