Wednesday, March 17, 2010

the miracles of lentils


When I was McPregnant with both the McDoubles and the McTriples I lost all want for meat. It was the weirdest thing because you'd think that when you are pregnant that your body would crave meat. I could no longer stomach the thought of even eating chicken. The only problem was that Dr. Elliot said that I had to eat 4000 calories a day. He didn't care how I did it and even suggested McDonalds to gain the necessary 40 pounds by week 20. He swore I would have large healthy triplets if I stuck to his plan. Somehow by drinking lots of Ensure and high caloric shakes as fillers I was able to gain 70 pounds when it was all said and done. The doctor was really shocked when I told him that I hardly ate any meat. To this day I swear by lentils, salmon, veggies, flax and quinoa for the successful arrival of my triplets that were in the 98 percentile for weight. They were actually ready to come home with me from the hospital which I thought was amazing. Anyway last night as I made a big pot of lentil quinoa soup I thought about the miracles of life and how much I LOVE LENTILS...they are so comforting.

The below recipe is both simple and tasty.

1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 dried quinoa
1 1/2 cups dried red or brown lentils
4-5ish cups vegetable stock
1 bunch baby spinach, chopped
1 lemon juiced
finely grated lemon zest to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Add carrots and sauté for another 3 minutes. Add lentils and stock. Bring to the boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat. Add spinach, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Ladle into bowls. Top with lemon zest. Serves 6ish.

I also made this cornmeal crunch side dish to go with the soup. So far 101 cookbooks is one of my favorite food blogs. Just thought I would share.

P.S. - If you are pregnant with multiples, talk to me...I have an awesome book recommendation.

P.S.S. - In case there is any confusion, I am not recommending being pregnant with triplets but just in case you are then there is hope:-) Did you know that in the state of AZ that you qualify for a handicap parking pass with triplets and above....I'm thinking I should have taken it...ha!

15 comments:

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

I used to hate lentils, now my BF makes them once a week, every Saturday for lunch and I love them!

angela | the painted house said...

Mmm, now I know what we are having for dinner tonight. Adding quinoa is a good idea! And super yea for having all the ingredients already. :) I hope the family isn't disappointed after having soup already last night--minestrone loaded with cabbage. :)

Thanks for sharing!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I'm so happy you've given me a lentil recipe to try. For some bizarre reason, I've only just tasted lentils and fell in love. Wanted to start making them at home and was searching for just the way to start - found it and it's gluten-free (just what I need).

Unknown said...

I love lentils and am so going to try this recipe. Although, I don't know what quinoa is.

May I just say you are my hero! I thought having one child at a time was challenging. May I never utter another complaint about mothering two boys again...he! he!

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Icey coke thick shake sundaes and apple pies, Chicken Mc Nuggets and a Happy meal 2 go!

Full House said...

Funny Aimes!

Laura said...

Sounds delicious! And that cornmeal crunch? yummmmmmmm! Thanks for passing them along!

JENNIE! said...

i too LOVE lentils... thans for the recipe!

LindsB said...

I dont eat meat so I am always looking for ways to get my protein- this looks great, thanks for the recipe!!

Nancy said...

Can't wait to try this recipe, I've been trying to give up eating meat all the time and replacing it with legumes and grains. Thanks!

Jami said...

you can be sure I will try this one. Lentils are one of my favorites in soup. It just brings such a rich flavor.

Liza said...

thanks for the recipe, sis! I'm going to give it a whirl.

Kiran said...

I have been craving lentils! Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. :-)

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

I think that soup sounds yummy. I'll have to give it a try. I can't believe you grew full-term triplets, let alone on a veggie diet. Good for you.

KatieJ said...

Yum I make Sausage Lentil soup (Carrabbas copy cat recipe) but I will have to try this. I have a bag of quinoa in my pantry waiting for me to try it somehow!
PS- we went to the arboretum this week, I will let you know when I get the pictures posted, it was awesome! thanks so much for the tip!