Tuesday, January 26, 2010

crowns for your crown {crown headband tutorial}


Want to make a crown?  Perhaps for a little girls birthday party or just because...
They would make cute cheap party favors too.


Just start out with some lace pieces.  There is a great tutorial here.  I actually switched mine up because I couldn't find the gold leafing powder that it called for and I made some into a headband.  There is a gold leafing liquid located by all of the leafing supplies @ either Micheals or JoAnns.  Really all you will need are paintbrushes, wax paper, modge podge, gold acrylic paint and the gold leafing paint (gold leafing paint really gives the crown a metallic finish).

Place the lace on the wax paper.  Then paint it with the acrylic paint.  After it has dried on both sides, then Modge Podge it.  You will want to apply at least a few coats & fully saturate.  After it  is dry then bust out the gold leafing liquid and apply.  Once dried you can attach some ribbon with heavy duty craft glue and some of the velcro circles to help keep the crown in place.
(the hard side of the velcro, not the soft circles)

Also I didn't use the gold leafing on the back of this crown but in my opinion they look better if you do.

Ta duh, now you've got yourself a crown headband.  Go wild!


If you really want to have control, then may I suggest wearing a crown around the home.  After you put it on act very serious so that everybody knows you mean business.  It works.  I put it on & the kids busted out in song and it went something like, "Clean up, clean up, everybody clean up"  All while I sat on the couch and read a book.  It was magical.  Now just don't try to come over to my home to see if it really did work because I would hate to disappoint.  Ha!


In all reality the girls love their crowns.
Thank you to the bitterbetty blog for the idea.

17 comments:

Angie Milne said...

what a cute cute idea! they are fabulous! So does the modge podge give them shape? I'm really tempted to make one for myself...

Full House said...

Yes the modge podge gives them shape. I am tempted to use a fabric stiffener first though. MP doesn't make it really hard hard but moldable.

Alexa Mae said...

i love them! thank you for this. i am going to make them for the princesses 4th birthday party! they are darling.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I have absolutely no reason to use a crown, but I've bookmarked this idea. It's seriously cute!

Laura said...

I just might make me a crown and see if I can have any magical powers over my man clan!

nest of posies said...

i swear - there is NO ONE like you! :)

with love,
from your royal court

Unknown said...

these crowns are adorable and you, my friend, are gorgeous. great post :)

B said...

Those. are. totally. gorgeous.
As are the wearers I might add :O) What a fantastic idea, thanks!

B x

Amanda said...

I must know what colors your stripes are in the (stunning as always) photo of you??? I'm horrible with paint colors... which is why I always seem to notice yours. ;)

autumn said...

i love this, and the finished product is so classy!

GiGi said...

could you be any cuter?
i don't think so.
i am going to make myself a crown, and wear it when i get my vita-mix.

xoxo

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

I like the one you're wearing...TOO CUTE!! :) oxox!

Jen Ramos
www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com
--

Sandy said...

I love your 'crowns'....

Shannon said...

Luh-huv it!
You're so darn creative. Wished we lived closer so the kids could play together and we could wear our crowns. ha!
Have an awesome rest of the week!
Shannon in Austin

Laura Fuller said...

ok you are gorgeous! really

Sturgmom said...

What an adorable idea! Where do you find the lace pieces? A fabric store?

KatrinkaJane said...

Ummmm, hello? You're stunning. :D What would you use instead of lace to make a boy's crown?