Wednesday, May 26, 2010

real men eat nut burgers (recipe)

Photobucket

Photobucket

The above photos are intended to show some rugged manliness. The culprit on the right is my wonderful father-in-law. He could eat off meat alone and he braised & curated (or was that raised and cured) the 2 hunks of meat to the left of him. Technically he is responsible for the upbringing and preservation (curing) of his boys in a world that seemingly is at a loss for fine young men. He also thinks I eat tree bark or hug tress or something like that. See the thing about it is I do eat meat....sometimes. I just don't feel the need to eat it every single day. Apparently almost all of the very significant men in my life do though. They have all been obsessed with hamburgers and such. One time I even had to ground beef a certain boyfriend from going to The Happy Hound or The Burger Palace or something like that. Do you see my dilemma....how am I ever going to satisfy our household in one swoop of a meal...that was until I came upon nut burgers. Now we have officially saved husbands manliness all while I basked in my love of nuts of course.


The best part about it is it is very easy to make.

1 cup raw cashews
1 cup walnuts
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup almond, soy or any real cheese (I like almond cheese bur husband likes real cheese)
1 egg beaten
1/2 onion chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
chili powder to your liking

blend or finely chop the nuts;
mix with the brown rice, chesse, egg, onions, salt & chili powder;
mold into patties (I then lightly coat patty with spelt flour)
place patty in a greased frying pan (I use olive oil) and cook until lightly browned on each side

Mmm...mmm..good. Of course husband & kids slather on the sauces and call it good but I have to have the works (lettuce, sprouts, tomatos, pickles etc).

Photobucket

Anybody else ever dabbled in nut burger making?

6 comments:

mrs. pitts said...

Your recipe sounds worth a try! But, I must know where the top picture was taken because I am going to have to go there some day . . .it's breathtaking and I'm so jealous of the gorgeous desert flowers and vistas you get to see daily. Thanks so much for sharing . .

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

yay, I was a bit worried it would include pine nuts, and I dont eat them anymore, I got the pine mouth a couple of weeks ago and was horrible!! I will definitely make it, looks yummy!! thanks darling xoxo

Sandy said...

I'll tell you.. if I were to put this (burger) out to the men in my life.. I might have to duck!
I'd love to try it,, "I don't eat red meat"!
Beautiful country behind those beautiful men!

Sandy

angela | the painted house said...

Yea, I'm happy to get the recipe! I do have a great burger recipe that a church member gave me when my hubby was going through chemo. Every round of camp chemo, as we called it, she and another woman made fresh vegan food--enough for a few meals--and brought it over so I didn't have to cook after he recovered from the treatment. Angels they are. And her burgers were delish! Now I'm excited to try these. Thank you!

Cowboys are a good thing. Glad you have one! And such nice things to say about your FIL.

nest of posies said...

never tried a nut burger. i think my husband would even try this.
you know, i was just saying to myself this evening "why must we always have to have a meat for meals?" we didn't tonite. (of course, husband wasn't home) but i loved not having to worry about a meat for dinner.

Unknown said...

oh, I would love more of these "less meat" recipes :)