Thursday, February 11, 2010

{learn me a lesson, fig tree}


One of my all time favorite movies has to be Parent Trap (the old school one). Well the other day I took the boys on an IKEA date. Lunchtime was quickly approaching so we headed upstairs to dine on such delicacies as shrimp sandwiches. I sweat bullets as I tried to push the "train" and balance all of our food on a tray....all while the boys screamed very loudly for their jute boxes (juice boxes). By now I am completely unphased by all of the on-lookers but am very focused on the fact that I just want some zippers to apply to 3 little mouths. We pay and then look for the most inconspicuous spot to bang forks & stuff.  Lucky me, there is a dining section completely in isolation (I really savor eating in isolation when I am out with the kids). As we ate all I could think about was the movie Parent Trap and how the sisters dined with a  sign placed on the table letting everybody know they were in isolation. I felt that I too need a special sign that read, "multiple toddlers in training".

Fast forward to today when I observed my fig tree had become naked. "Those darn kids, who gave them the power to rip all the leaves off", I thought. Later that afternoon as we drove up the road and passed the "tire swing house", I took a double take as I observed the very mature fig tree with NADA leaves.  That's right not a one leaf existed on any part of the bark.

I quickly scratched out the Toddler in training sign in my head and replaced it with the words, "MOTHER (who has a narrow mind and jumps to conclusions) IN TRAINING". My kids learn me a lesson or two these days. Time to broaden my horizons and open up some learning space in my brain.

So on that note, what about an indoor fig tree, you know to serve as a constant reminder on how it is probably a novel concept to not jump to conclusions and the importance of giving people the benefit of the doubt....even if they happen to be smaller than I:-)

And if the fig tree doesn't work out I can always fall back on Parent Trap for inspiration.  Have you happened to noticed how cool that house in Monterey, CA is?  These days I would probably opt for a really cool house up the road close to Carmel by the sea though.

Fig trees indoors...PRETTY!

13 comments:

Kacey said...

Those onlookers are probably just watching you in amazement and thinking: SUPERMOM. I go out with my two boys (4 and 2) and feel like I'm going to lose my mind!

Deny Binsar Mangisi said...

hi visit and follow please.
nice to meet u^

nest of posies said...

i *heart* every one of your mothering stories. i can only imagine what it was like pushing the "train" & balancing the food. bless you, my friend.

Jeanne Oliver said...

That is still one of my favorite movies and my children love it too. This is such a beautiful post. I catch myself too...realizing it and moving on. I could relate to every word you said.

Laura said...

Ahhhh, Monterey. I lived there while I was in high school. I'd LOVE to live there now, so beautiful.

LOVE your stories and outlook. They always make me smile! You're amazing! :-)

Dayka Robinson said...

OMG, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the parent trap (**singing, "straighten up their mess with together-ness, TOGETHERNESS, the parent trap!")!!!!! So many wonderful things to love about that movie, but I always loved the animation in the beginning. Be glad that someone didn't cut a large swatch out of your skirt while you were standing in line for the "jute" boxes--that really would've been bad!

I also loved that house (with the indoor/outdoor thing going on), but I would settle for Carmel by the Sea as well. Can you imagine living on that street closest to the beach? HEAVEN. I bet those people don't even walk down there that much anymore. This brings back great memories (as you see, I'm super excited). I loved this post. :)

Ms. Bright said...

You are too funny. We think alot alike it seems! I love love love The Parent Trap "together yeah yeah yeah!"
Anywho. I loved today's musings. Wouldn't Carmel be a nice place to have a ranch? With a bunch of fig trees!

Anonymous said...

Love your story. Have a happy weekend.

-FringeGirl

Rebecca said...

when i was little..i begged my dad EVERY friday night (movie rental night) to rent the parent trap for me...i so wanted to be haley mills...he rented it every weekend for me and then he decided to just buy me my own copy!...that movie has a special spot in my heart...
...'let's get together...ya, ya, ya...two is twice as nice as one...'...remember that?

thanks for stirring up the memory of that film....:)

Whitney said...

you went to ikea and you didnt come to see me!? those boys are pretty darn cute if you ask me. Im missing you.

Shannon said...

LOLOLOLOL. I know all about sweating bullets. (Except I have twins not trips) They seriously make me sweat sometimes.....like when you are somewhere that you said you'd never go again WITH THEM and they start to pull a melt down on you......pits start to sweat. We just went to an Asian market today to look around and get some Chinese New year stuff....we were there an HOUR!
Dontcha LOVE IKEA for those private spots? Except it takes us 45 minutes to get to the restaurant.....the kids have to touch EVERYthing and sit on EVERYthing........
The boys look as though they were pretty good right there in that photo.
I am a Parent Trap fan too. The Old school one of course.
Shannon in Austin

LindsB said...

Pretty fig tree is right, I wonder if one would live in my house with little light. Going to check on that now.

GG. said...

You helped me with advice! phone girls London