Friday, December 4, 2009

A nice mountain retreat {chic country daydreamin'}

Photobucket
Photobucket

The coldest I have ever been in my life was when my family lived up in the beautiful mountains of Wyoming.  Being a native Arizona girl, I never knew that ice could stay permanently on some of the roadways for months, or that cars had to be plugged in to stay warm or else they wouldn't start, and any bodily fluid would freeze if not covered.  A runny nose is not such a good combo in negative 25 degree weather.  Where else does it snow 6 inches on the 4th of July but Wyoming (Yellowstone @ the continental divide to be exact).  Even though it is very cold up in the Tetons on down to Star Valley, I have a very warm place in my heart for that spot on the map.  I am thankful for all of the time I had to spend up in that country basking in God's beautiful creation.  Anyway when I saw the below house located in Jackson Hole that was designed by Barbara Barry, it left me longing for a winter mountain retreat all bundled up and sipping some hot chocolate.  I came across the below home in Veranda & this is in part what was said about the project:

"The Jackson Hole Valley, bounded by the Tetons, has long lured outdoorsy types. Among them is a Wyoming couple who bought eighteen acres and then asked Barbara Barry, a prominent Los Angeles designer, to create their home from the ground up. "They wanted something that would suit the setting and their casual, active lifestyle," says Barry. "Their intention was to build an unpretentious yet refined farmhouse that would stand the test of time."

I think Barry nailed this with her choice of mixing traditional country with contemporary.  Barbara managed to bring in style with tailored silhouettes while making comfort a priority.  I loved that she borrowed the color palette for the house from nature.

Want to have a sneak into the home?  It may also leave you with a yearning to have a mountain retreat.  To think I am usually not of fan of country decor.  Scroll down for a nice hot chocolate recipe to go with the house.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Now if you are ready for some Mayan hot chocolate then go here.

Have a wonderful weekend!!  What places do you dream about going to?

3 comments:

boops said...

so lovely...it's minimal (for a country house) and so serene...i'm not a nature girl, but this would suit me just fine.

Whitney said...

Zach talks often about Wyoming. He loved it there too. AS much as the top photos is so pretty, IM shivering just looking at it.

Rashon Carraway said...

I looked in the Veranda magazine today and saw this retreat...the bedroom...is so masterful.

I have already begun scouring places to recreate the headboard in my master bedroom.

Love this place.