Monday, August 10, 2009

a little glass & a little spray paint

After my last post, a blogging friend asked me if I still had all of my glass apothecary jars that were sitting on my piano still in tact. It made me smile when she asked if any had been broken yet because I have 3 boys that just turned 2 so I probably have not even begun to see what boys are truly capable of yet. My girls have been pretty mellow & would never climb up on things or throw things like my boys have already showed signs of. When we got the floors redone I moved those jars to the fireplace mantel where they still sit covered in dust from the redo. Here's proof:




I have big plans though for decorating my fireplace mantel when we get a little more settled.  Did you know I have a thing for sphere shaped objects.  Well I do but every time I went to buy one I couldn't do it because all of the mercury glass ones were too expensive.  That is until I came across....



{via MA Belle}


THIS.....

The below ball I picked up @ the thrift store for a buck but it used to be clear glass.  Then I came across a really cool spray paint.  It is made to sort of mimic mercury glass.  Look after I spray painted the ball how reflective it is.  I love it & can't wait to finish this project.


I also am loving my new floors and am so happy yo be back in our home.




Some fabrics & thrift store treasures that are on the horizon as projects.




Have a great week!

21 comments:

Whitney said...

I love your floors and your thrift store finds!!

Laura said...

I love your floors! We just had our refinished this weekend.

Mary said...

Sweet!! I can't wait to see all the new decor and such when I get home...on FRIDAY!! Yay!

Amanda said...

Your floors look gorgeous! Can't wait to see how your mantel turns out!

Michelle said...

Oh my, your floors are FAB! Jealous!!

Megan said...

are you kidding me? i have some candlesticks that i am trying to get a mercury glass look to them, and i have tried just about every silver and chrome spray paint that i can find but none has given me the look i was going for. perfect! thanks for sharing. i am also in love with the round mercury glass spheres. can't wait to see the mantle all decorated! by the way love the color combo you have going.

Liza said...

What a great idea that spray paint is! I can't wait to see your finished project.

Stacey Crewse said...

Just had to say.... Love, love, love your new floors! Great job! Also, add me tiny, to your private bloggity blog!
flygirlstacey@hotmail.com

Little Beachs said...

What thrift stores do you go to? I cant ever find any good ones.

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

ugh I dont know what happened to my post..
Anyway here it is again

1. LOL Love the jars on the mantle. Actually it's a little artsy!

2. Love the spray paint! I have to find that.

3. Hobby Lobby has some GORGEOUS stuff out now. I saw some of that mercury glass in a fall tone (goldish). Just go in and look. It's all over the place.

4. You always have projects going on like me. Isn't it fun?

5. Those floors and the rich color are amazing. Great job.

-Shannon in Austin with only 1 apothecary jar

Annie said...

Hammered floors...brilliant. I think you will be so pleased with them, especially when it significantly ups the value of your house come sell time. Great find, great choice.

Lovely Little Nest said...

WOW that is amazing! You could use it for candle holders, frames - anything! Great find :)

paula said...

I just love a good sneak peek.

Aimee's Family Journal said...

So it is easy to get here, if you are still planning on it tomorrow!

Take Power South, or the 202 to Power if that is easier. Keep going until you pass Queen Creek Road. We are the first left after QC road on Jacaranda (waterfall entrance). Then take your first left on 184th. 18th street turns into Apricot lane. We are on 18544 E Apricot, and my door is black.

We will plan on you around 10. I have things for lunch, if you want to do that. How ever it is not organic. So maybe you want to pack something for them? =0) I love you Christina. Can't wait to see you and the 5!

Love, Aimee

Tried to email you but that address I have for you is old, and came back not valid!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I love that triangle artwork piece! I COVET!!

angela hardison said...

Oh my, and now I'm obsessed with that triangle painting/print. Can't wait to see what you do with all that lovely stuff.

And my painting was found at a Lutheran thrift store in Scottsdale (on McDonald Dr)!

ammon & Kim Riggs said...

What and the decorating is going on, I was like just there and now all this has happened! It's looking awesome (I'm not surprised) and I love your floors. I want to come see them in person. Hey where did you get your arm chair again? miss ya, lets get together soon.

Shannon said...

Did i ever answer your question? My kids were in the NICU for about a month. Only to gain wait/feed really. Abigail had some apnea issues but they cleared up nicely. I love my kids so much. Were yours in the NICU?
-Shannon in Austin

nest of posies said...

your floors!!!!!!!!

are beautiful. love the wider plank, as well. we have hardwood all throughout the house. i.love.them.

i just sent you an email via what you have on your profile page. hope it is still current.

Unknown said...

Just imagaine all those domes in the dollar store! This idea would look great with a lot of them lined in the middle of a long table for a dinner party accompanied by fresh flowers...ahhhh