Monday, May 11, 2009

Mommasita!

I've shed many a tears on Mother's Day.  Yesterday was no different except for the reason.  Before on Mother's Day I had no babies to hold.  Now my arms are bursting @ the seams but I still cry.  I cry because I feel like I have been so blessed, I cry because I've never felt so much love, I cry because I'm overwhelmed, I cry because I don't want to become discouraged or guilt-ridden but I am after all exhausted.  I think I'm getting all exhausted just sitting here thinking that what I do everyday has such a huge impact on my kids.  Woooph!  Now on to the really, really good part....On Mother's Day we went to Nana's and this is what I spotted from inside the house.  I think my kids kind of love her.  Actually my kids love Grandma too but she lives a little further away.  Now I myself really like Grandma because she raised me a good husband, what a Momma.



I'm so thankful for all that Mommasita has done for me. I'm especially grateful to her for teaching by word and example the divinity of motherhood and the great worth in being a woman. I have never for one moment thought that there was no greater calling in life. Well except one time.  

I remember pondering life @ the ripe old age of 21 before I was married, "What was I going to make of myself when I grew up",  I thought as I sat lying on my bed while starring up @ the ceiling wondering what direction to take. Did I want to live out my long life desire to be a meteorologist? Perhaps I could take the flight attendant job and move to New York and see the world. Whatever I decided to do it had to be big though. After I laid there for a while I had the most overwhelming thought/feeling come over me, "Your biggest & most noble calling in life will be to be a mother." I thought that was strange because this wasn't anything new, as I had been taught that my whole entire life but for some reason that feeling I had just had stuck with me a little deeper this time. So deep in fact that when children were not coming after 7 years of marriage I thought back to that experience on numerous occasions and it eased the pain because I knew it was just matter of time.

Speaking of time, I can't believe I used to think it was actually hard to work a full-time job with weekends off. Maria Shriver once came up with a saying in hopes to market motherhood and it went like this: 'Motherhood: 24/7 on the frontlines of humanity. Are you man enough to try it?' Well coming from an industry that was a man's world I can now testify that it is much harder to be a mother. Sometimes all I can do is just freeze because I don't even know where to begin. How do all the good Mommas do it?  I don't know but I do know I am thankful to learn & grow from this opportunity to be mother and I am so thankful to have a mother & other mothers to help show the way.  I believe there is great power in the roll of womanhood as we embrace the opportunity to be mothers and that's why author & mother Anna Quindlen so eloquently refers to motherhood as "the work of ages," tantamount to building a great nation.
"If any of us engage in the work of mothering thought about it as the task of fashioning the fine points of civilization," she writes,"we would be frozen into immobility by the enormity of the task" (Loud and Clear, 57)

With God on our side we can do it!


PS - I only hang out with other mothers with multiples....just joshin' (did I just write just joshin') because actually if the truth be known I should of ran as far away from the below girls as possible if I would have known what would have become of us.  You see we all grew up within blocks of each other and one had quintuplets (the same time I had my trips) and the other 2 sets of twins.  We all must have been drinking out of the same scary water fountain.  Good times in the neighborhood!  Both inspiring Mums.



10 comments:

Liza said...

Amen sista!

Annie said...

You said it all! Mothers pretty much rock the house.

P.S. I sent you a little Mother's Day sumpin' sumpin' in the mail. It should be there in a few days.

Amy Lou said...

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY super mom!! That sure would have been cool to meet up :) Maybe next time.. My mom was at Women's conference also.. Maybe you saw her and didn't even know it ;) LOL
She said it was just fabulous!

Mary said...

haha that picture of mom is pretty funny!

Briana Ward said...

I LOVE this post!!!! Happy Mothers Day :) You are amazing!!!!

Laura said...

Awesome post! How cool that you all grew up together and all had multiples and now support each other.

Stacey Crewse said...

Well said! You are THE super mama! I have missed you.... we NEED to get together soon! Happy mothers day!

Marketing Unscrambled, Home edition said...

From one that has never been able to have little ones. It is nice to read your beautiful posts. Hope that you had a wonderful mother's day. Crying and all.
Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"

Debbie said...

my cup runneth over!!

Whitney said...

You are by far one of the greatest mamas on the planet! I look up to you so much.