Thursday, May 28, 2009

Turquoise, colbalt blue with hints of yellow....yeah my own workspace!

Hopefully you aren't getting sick of me sharing my love of the thrift stores but I can't help it. I have recently been trying to re-do a guest room that would double as a workspace for myself and decided to take the challenge on of using mostly the thrift stores, & other discount stores as my sources. It has been so much fun to see it start to come together with just a little pocket change. All that is left is painting, framing, the simple bedding and the modern window treatments.  Here's what I've come up with so far.  

The mirror, the hats and the pillows all came from Goodwill. The chrome lamp from Home Goods.


Next that secretary was purchased from Craigslist for $75 and has been a very efficient piece for such a small space.  I plan on doing a make-over & modernizing the secretary and the chair a few projects down the line.  If you want to see a fabulous secretary makeover go here.  

The chair was from Gracie's thrift and the turquoise and glass vases came from Marshalls.


I just have a couple more pictures to add to this collection and then after I frame some of them we will call this wall collage good. My favorite one is the picture of my aunt in 1944. I bought the lithograph of the two women for $5.00 and after doing a little research on it may be worth close to $1000.00.  It is signed and numbered by the French artist.



All of the items in the secretary were purchased @ thrift stores except for some of the trims.  Oh how I love my trims.





Love all of the cork top containers.


secretary - $75.00
chair - $6.00
mirror - $23.00
trinkets in secretary - $22.00
all of the artwork - $16.00
bed skirt - $3.00
turquoise glass vases - $16.00
lamp - $50.00
pillows - $7.00
6 antique hats - $8.50 

It wouldn't be polite if I didn't sit down to break in my new work spot by first thanking all of the discount and thrift stores.haha.

I'm so excited for my very own little spot!!!


I finally got the below book and I can't recommend it enough. It will really get a treasure hunters pulse up. The pictures are beautiful and it is hard to believe many of the refined and modern spaces featured were decorated by those who frequent flea markets and thrift stores. 

18 comments:

☂niki. said...

AMAZING!!!

Love, love it.

stepforddreams said...

Love love love it! IN the process of injecting a heavy dose of teal into our bedroom to match the 100 year old tiles on the fireplace. Love what you have done. Promise to share ours when it is finished. Can't guarantee it will be this decade though. Love everything you post! Never bored. xx

~Grace Happens~ said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I AM STUNNED AT HOW GORGEOUS EVERYTHING LOOKS FOR SUCH A BUDGET!!!! CAN I HIRE YOU? I LOVE THIS ROOM! AND PS. I love the cabinet and chair just how they are! I can't imagine them looking more beautiful, but can't wait to see what you do:)

Debbie said...

your the queen!!

Megan Lee said...

Wow!!! I cannot tell you enough how much I love this room. I have a tablecloth that I bought at a flea market that is the same cobalt blue. Love it! And I was looking for a secretary desk on Craigslist as well but settled for a cabinet at HomeGoods instead. This is just the room for me!

Whitney said...

Did you know you are so popular!? I keep finding your blog on friends of mine and I know they dont know you. Yep.. famous! Loving the room.

there's always something.. said...

YOU ARE AMAZING!! It's beautiful!!

Marketing Unscrambled, Home edition said...

What a wonderful job you did on that room. With a total cost of $226.50. That is great, the things that you found are wonderful. Love those shops as well. Great place to shop.
Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"

Erin said...

Hahah! Ok, I think I seriously spoke to the same woman about that secretary a week or two ago! I got her down a little cheaper and then backed out of it hoping to find a similar one with clean lines to refinish Eddie Ross style! Great job so far!!

paula said...

looks beautiful! That mirror is stunning.

Scott Jensen said...

HOT!

Robin said...

You have to tell me all your secret thrifting tips. I am so amazed at all your beautiful finds.

Annie said...

Wow, talk about make over. Your room is so different now. Great color choices. Honestly, if HGTV knew what was good for them, they'd hire you in a heartbeat.

Susan said...

You are amazing!!! I can't look at your blog again without saying you are one talented girl. Read your blog all the time just wanted to say Hi!

Carol said...

Very cool! You are a very talented lady!

Amy Lou said...

CUTE! LOVE IT :) Love even more that you wrote the thrift store a Thank You... You are so fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Christina you are so talented. I love thrift stores too. I can't believe you even have the time for makeover's!! I love things that look amazing and yet don't have a huge price tag. Thanks for such inspiration. I wish I could see your whole house. Maybe you should do a whole blog post about every room in your house. Miss you...

Jamie said...

this is so inspiring...how you turned your guestroom/office into a beautiful chic space and all on a budget. you're so creative with all of your beautiful thrift store finds. i love the nostalgia of the old prints and hats from the era of our grandmothers. i am so glad i found your blog and look forward to more of your lovely posts and decor inspiration. xo jamie ps your family is darling!