Monday, August 9, 2010

{investments, change and smoothies}

Photobucket

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

This weekend the kids & I were on our own. Husband was on a fishing trip to Costa Rica. Why is it that when the husband is gone I am more efficient. It is the weirdest thing. Anyway the kids & I stayed up late every night reading & watching movies. Sunday rolled around and I would be bluffing if I said that the thought of not going to church crossed my mind. We went and you better believe that the first thing I did when we got home was kick off those green fluffy shoes, sat on the couch and stared at the wall while rocking back and forth, mom-ma:-). Well when we were at church Steve Shiflet approached me asking, "Didin't you use to work for one of those really big investment banking companies?" Of course I answered by telling him that I used to work for Goldman Sachs. With a smirk I then said, "Guess what I work for an even bigger investment banking company now." He looked a little puzzled until I said that the company I worked for now was my family. Steve then got the whole investment comparison thing even though he probably thought I was silly. I decided that what I had said was a good one because afterall I am investing way more into these kids hoping for an even greater return than any fund could ever produce. For the rest of the Sabbath Day I wondered if I should be fired from my Mom job. Either which way it didn't really matter because it is what it is and I can only do better (which I am glad for church because I usually always want to be better after I depart those chapel doors and I was just kidding about the rocking back and forth part when I got home). Well I am extra sensitive to my mothering rearing skills because my girls are entering into the school of big girls. It is for real now and there is no turning back. back................
I went into the guest bedroom and watched my girl as her back was turned to me. Today we were going to cut all of those long beautiful locks. Change is in air. It is part of life and natural progression but sometimes so dang hard. Perhaps in the next couple of days when I drop the girls off for Kindergarten I will think of those beautiful locks of hair on the ground and the chance for growth as I try to embrace change.

Man I have a lot to learn.


Photobucket

P.S. - I love how smoothies make myself feel better about being a Mom. My kids have no idea there are veggies mixed into all of that goodness.

Mother's Most Recent Smoothie of Love:

big heaping handful of spinach
fresh berries
banana
cold milled golden flax seed
kefir or yogurt
vanilla
water mixed with a bit of apple juice
soymilk
ice

BLEND

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I first have to start by saying those green coach shoes are too cute. Your family is so sweet and you're an amazing mother. You inspire me to see the light in it all. Those smoothies, I gotta add spinach and flaxmeal/seed (is there a difference) for my kiddos. They will thank me later, right? Good luck with your girls first day at Kindergarten.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

your posts no matter what brighten my day Christina, anything you touch is ultimately gold and your kids and gorgeous family is indeed the best investment xoxo
btw, love your shoes! and those balloons prints too, where are they from? xxx

mary katharine said...

Beautiful post! Beautiful family:).

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Your kids are adorable. Love your outfit! It's so happy! Love the answer you gave that man! Perfect!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Great comment about an even bigger investment job now - you are totally correct. I never once thought to add spinach to our fruit smoothies, can't wait to sneak that in and see if my husband notices!
Every time I see a photo of all your children together, I do wonder how in the world you ever make it out the door!

Janae Moss said...

I am not quite sure how I stumbled on your blog this morning, but it's beautiful and so is your family. I liked your investment comparison and thought inside about the times that are hard that you want to run away from a money investment because of the economy but that is when it really counts to hang in there so you don't loose everything ;) oh... Also love green smoothies for my kids!!

Jacki said...

I stumbled on your blog a bit ago. I love all your color in everything here. What a fun find. Such a vibrant place.
Gotta try those smoothies!

Tshepo said...

Love your family! You are an amazing mother. I have one on the way and I always think of you, your creativity, care, and thoughtfulness. The girls will be amazing at school because of everything you taught them.

erin said...

I love your blog and you girl's bedroom asian console so chic love love love the design of that room! I especailly love the curtains and leads on where you found those rockin' things?

Natalie Hall said...

Of course I obsess over every post, I need to try one of your yummy smoothies...

Look at all that gorgeous hair, my word! I absolutely love your outfit, so stunning, and so classy....

angela | the painted house said...

Don't fire yourself--give yourself a raise! What with getting the kids to church and feeding them spinach on the sly--a raise and a bonus!

Gorgeous hair! Really? You're going to cut it? :( Whatever you do, don't listen to Jack Johnson's We're Going to be Friends song when you take your girlies to school the first day...unless you want to ruin your makeup with tear streaks.

angela hardison said...

your little girls definitely have beautiful hair like their momma. seriously your little kids are darling; i love that last picture. hooray for spinach in smoothies!

Bringing Lady Back said...

Oh my. I have a spinach smoothie recipe that I love, but I may just have to give yours a try.

And darling? We are mothers. Hear us roar. and rock. ;)

LindsB said...

those shoes are too cute- I love the bow on them!

Oh and those smoothies sound delish, I think that might be a good way for me to eat my veggies too :)

Laura said...

1. You're a great mom to those adorable children and I love that you share your mothering thoughts - they always seem to make me feel better and/or smile.
2. I'll have to try that smoothie recipe and see if I can trick my wee ones into drinking some veggies.
3. Love the shoes.

Full House said...

Erin..thank you. A far as leads..go straight to my Momma. She sewed those curtains 6 years ago when I was anticipating my girls. The console is from a local thrift store here in AZ.

Full House said...

Ah Helena,

The ballon prints were thrifted.

Love ya!

Unknown said...

I love reading your blog, you have such a great outlook on parenting. You are awesome for taking all your kids to church w/ out your hubby. Wish we were neighbors!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try that recipe! Thanks!