Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I love to pet stone {quest for white countertops}

collage

The above are just some cool pictures of slabs that I took with my phone on one of my outing last week...Did you know that petting stone is very therapeutic??

Anyway moving on to operation white stone countertops...

Screenshot2012-10-16at64103AM
{The above image from here}
In the kitchen my preference is to have it light & bright with preferably white countertops (refer above to the alternative white countertops found here). Don't worry there are plenty of white surfaces to choose from..I just happen to prefer natural stone and more specifically marble. I love the movements and patterns found in marble. I have friends with kids that have marble in their kitchens and it has worked out for them. Sure their counters had some character marks in the the form of etching, staining & scratching but they said they were fine with it. I then planned & plotted my purchase of my very own marble slabs. Those slabs were then going to be honed and fabricated into something fabulous. Once in place, the kids were never to bring anything acidic or oily around and I was going to keep plenty of poultice around. Most stone slab places were against these plans. Then one day I found some quartzite slabs at three different places that were so beautiful and almost as white as marble. What I loved about them is they mimicked the movements of marble but were almost as hard as granite. I was sold. In fact I ended up going with what is called a calacatta quartzite. Want to see a sneak peak...

collage
Phoenix-20121012-00153

I also found more quartzite slabs that I loved just as much called white macaubas. I only decided not to go with them because the were 2CM as opposed to a 3CM. I found out that the calacatta and the macaubas are actually from the same quarries..same coloring but different veining patterns. Here is the one we almost went with:

Macaubas

Even though the below quartzite is not as white I aslo really loved the look of the below:

IMAG0328

Have you used marble or quartzite in your kitchen???
Any particular findings you would like to share???
I kind of love that we can be in this together.  I especially loved all of the input on the last post.  Thank you!!

FOR THE LOCALS

Some great stone places with the best selections of marble and quartzite:

Cactus Stone
(50th St. & Washington)
401 S. 50th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034

602-914-2202
8am-5pm

Arizona Tile Scottsdale
(101 & Frank Lloyd Wright)
14700 N. Hayden Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

480-991-3066
7am-5pm

Arizona Tile Tempe
(I-10 & Warner)
8829 S. Priest Dr.
Tempe, AZ 85284

480-893-9393
7am-5pm

Bedrosians Tile & Stone
(32nd St. & Broadway)
2946 E. Broadway Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85040

602-268-2000
8am-4pm


Aracruz International Granite
(I-17 & Buckeye Rd.)
2310 W. Sherman St.
Phoenix, AZ 85009

602-252-1171
8am-5pm


P.S. - We've had other outings going on as well.  Kids have been home from school for over a week..Apparently it is called October break.  We went on a field trip to the train park in Scottsdale.  Have you been?  My kids love it there.  Usually I am a loner when it comes to taking kids on outings.  Somehow I managed to gather up a bunch of lady/sister friends to accompany me.  That there below is A LOT of kids.  Surprisingly it was FUN.  I don't want to shock the pants off anybody but as much fun as we had and as much as I loved lazy mornings..my bosom is filled with much joy & excitement with the prospect of all of the items of business I can get done with all of the kids back in school.

IMAG0313

P.S.S - Speaking of sister friends. I have just discovered that cutting bangs makes me the younger sister...which is a good thing when one is the oldest sister and not 24 anymore. Just thought I'd share...you know because yesterday a nice man at the grocery store stopped me and said that he had seen my "older sister" earlier that week. I might have made a fist pulled back my elbow and arm and said "YYESSS"!

Photobucket

22 comments:

threeacres said...

I love both of the quartzite slabs! I don't think you could go wrong with either one. If you go with the 2cm pieces you could always have a thicker edge detail added on (http://s620.beta.photobucket.com/user/boxerpups22/media/granite/granite_edge_options.jpg.html) but that is probably costly. I like the look of marble myself but not the maintenance so we ended up with Super White granite on our main bathroom vanity. I'm so glad we explored other options with a similar look to marble.

Full House said...

Ah thanks for the input threeacres. i will check out the thicker edge on the counter top.

angela | the painted house said...

Aww, man I was hoping to comment first! I didn't know there were so many pretty white stones to choose from. Hard business, Miss C. But I don't see how you could go wrong.

Where can I get goddess hair? A goddess who doesn't look old enough to drive...ways to look younger, I likey.

The legs are here...

Michelle said...

I have quartzite and three messy triplets and I think you made a great choice! So far, my countertops have held up very well!

Ann said...

Marvelous group photo! Just love to see a whole mob of beautiful kids and moms enjoying a day together. And I know that back-to-school will be a good thing!

MandyPants said...

Those slabs are flipping gorgeous and I love the bangs. You have the perfect face for them.

Sarah said...

I love the quartzite you chose. Very beautiful!
Also love the bangs!

Bromeliad said...

When I got bangs, a co-worker said I looked 10 years younger.

Made me wonder what kind of bedraggled hag I resembled before my trim.

My Interior Life said...

Girl, you are rocking those bangs. Not sure I can. I mainly just get annoyed with bangs - my hairstylist has deemed me a "tucker" meaning I can't have too much hair hanging in or near my face. Bummer.

Obviously, the quartzite is amazing. I have boring ole granite. Boo. Oh, and those cement tiles you picked out are just too good. I'm living vicariously through you!!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

I love quartzite over marble - so much more practical!!

Merci-Notes said...

ah, you look beautiful in both shots (with and without bangs). I am still getting the young thing, sometimes it makes me sad... i am her MOM! I will take the compliments also!

The oldest sister of 5 a five daughter and one son (eldest) family.

With Kindness,
Mary

P.S. Thank you for the stone assist.


Flor de Lisboa said...

…i prefer the "older" you… but you always look mega awesome!!

Ruth P said...

My friend directed me to your post. I love the look of white marble! I am changing out my countertops in the next few months and was looking into quartzite. I don't know anything about the process. Do I visit one of the above places you mentioned and then find a contractor to install the slab? How does it all work? How long does it take to have the counter installed after you pick out the slab? Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks!
Ruth

James Curtis said...

That was an excellent choice of yours as granite countertops is said to be much stronger than marble.

Pantry Doors

Rajib Hossain said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! Great choice! And I like your very logical reasons why.
white marble tile

fine house said...

Bloggers like you are very few on World Wide Web and I am happy to found you. It’s like finding a pearl in the sea, tough but fruitful. Best wishes and regards.
complementi d'arredo

Randy Halpern said...

Just found your blog. I also love marble but don't want to deal with the maintenance issues. Love what you choose. I am not local so I need to find a place near me to get it. Can you post/send me a picture of the finished job? I am impressed that you have time to write and get haircuts with 5 children.

Habeib Khan said...

Lols Gag is the the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Funny Vidoes, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Epic Videos, Prank Videos, Fail Videos and Much More Fun and Entertainment, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Lol Videos, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
lolsgag.com

Caitlin Lindquist said...

Hi. So glad I just stumbled across your blog!

I am a fellow blogger who just moved to Scottsdale from San Diego and my husband and I just purchased a home in N. Scottsdale we are looking to remodel a bit.

We are thinking of redoing the floors (travertine & hardwood), re-painting the whole house, adding new kitchen & bathroom countertops (granite, marble or quartzite), and finding new furniture!

I greatly appreciate the list of stone factories to visit (super helpful!). Would you mind recommending any place for looking at wood flooring and possibly any installers you would recommend?

Thanks so much for the help! So glad I found you so I am not roaming around AZ blind.

Best,
Caitlin
A Little Dash of Darling

Lennie Jestice said...

Really nice work. I like your all collection and tips.

window blinds

sania jamil said...

watch Pakistan new and awesome TV channel to watch historical ture stories Geo Kahani

العالمية للصيانة said...

عزل مائي
عزل الاسطح
عزل خزانات
عزل الحمامات
شركة عزل
شركات عزل
عوازل مائية
عزل خزان
عزل اسطح
عزل الخزانات